Introducing Your Child to a Great Future in Reading
Kids are being asked to learn more vocabulary words at an earlier age. So it’s natural for some children to struggle to with grade-level word lists and others to excel at vocabulary words. Whether you’d like to see your child catch up or get ahead, finding a reading tutor to help your child improve vocabulary skills is a great decision.
Our reading tutors go far beyond the traditional “copy a word 20 times” approach. Instead, they introduce your child to new vocabulary words through innovative teaching methods, interactive technology and supportive feedback. At Sylvan, striving for an improved vocabulary means turning frustration into confidence. You’ll see the difference when your child lights up with a smile with each vocabulary word mastered.
Explore how we help with vocabulary words
To improve vocabulary skills, our reading tutors teach your child how to:
- Determine the meaning of a word based on its use
- Sort familiar words into categories based on their meaning (for example, colors, shapes, etc.)
- Recognize base words and their inflections (for example, cook, cooks, cooked, cooking)
- Identify the words that make up a contraction
- Understand compound words
- Identify common synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms
- Use knowledge of the root of a word to determine its meaning