Sylvan Learning partnered with Skip to My Lou for this post.
Cooking is a fun way to expose children to STEM, otherwise known as science, technology, engineering and math. The kitchen doubles as a lab where kids can learn weights, measures and addition, as well as watch chemical reactions happen in real time.
STEM careers are on the rise, which is why introducing your child to these subjects at an early age gives them an edge for the future! Sylvan STEM programs range from robotics to coding, and challenge your child to learn critical thinking and problem solving skills with hands-on activities that kids love!
Try the Wacky Cake recipe with your child as a way to get them interested in STEM!
Directions for making Wacky Cake
Wacky Cake, also known as Crazy Cake, became popular during the Depression when ingredients like eggs and milk were hard to find.
Start by downloading the Wacky Cake recipe cards and have your child use the pictures to write out the measurements for each ingredient. They’ll be so excited to start the recipe they won’t even realize they’re doing a fun, STEM experiment and practicing fractions and addition!
2. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, then pour all the wet ingredients into the well.
3. Stir the ingredients together. Notice how the baking soda and vinegar will bubble. Combining the vinegar (an acid) with the baking soda (a base) results in an entirely new substance, called carbon dioxide–this is a chemical reaction!
4. The batter will be thin. Divide it into two 8 or 9 inch greased cake pans.
5. Bake the cake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. To see if the cake is finished baking, insert a tooth pick into the center of the cake. If the tooth pick comes out clean, it’s fully cooked.
6. While the cake is cooling, you can make the frosting.
7. Start by creaming the butter with an electric mixer. Slowly add powdered sugar, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt. Once those ingredients are mixed, add corn syrup and vanilla. Stir into mixture well.
8. Finally, add melted chocolate chips and mix the frosting.
9. Frost the Wacky Cake once it’s cooled and decorate with sprinkles or other favorite toppings!
Visit Skip to My Lou’s Wacky Cake Recipe to read more!