We know you’re strapped for free time, but should you get a second to indulge in a little reading retreat, we’ve put together a summer reading list just for moms.
Books: The perfectbound beauties to throw in the beach bag or tote along to baseball practice.
- From bestselling author Meg Wolitzer, The Interestings is a panoramic novel about the role that art, money, talent and varying degrees of satisfaction can play in close friendships.
- Six years after publishing “A Thousand Splendid Suns,”Khaled Hosseini is back with And the Mountains Echoed, a new book that explores how we love, how we take care of each another and how the choices we make resonate through generations.
- In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes readers to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.
- Wondering how your favorite cocktail got its start? In The Drunken Botanist, Amy Stewart explores the array of herbs, flowers, trees, fruits and fungi that humans have contrived to transform into alcohol over the centuries.
- The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman, a home cook, photographer and celebrated food blogger, is all about approachable, uncompromised home cooking.
- In I Brake for Yard Sales: And Flea Markets, Thrift Shops, Auctions, and the Occasional Dumpster,Lara Spencer of“Good Morning America’s” shares her frugalista know-how for decorating with fabulous finds.
Eye Candy: We’re using “reading” loosely here; indulge in some aesthetic relief with a few of our favorite Pinners to follow.
- Get Crafty with Holly Becker, a best-selling author, pro-blogger, stylist and founder of decor8blog.com.
- CafeMom is no average mommy blog, but a funky meeting place for moms online that offers words to live by, holiday help, budget-friendly kid activities and everything in between.
- Stay in the know about all things fashion, interior design, party planning, gardening, food and kids with Joy Cho, the brain behind www.ohjoy.blogs.com.
- Never come up short with dinner ideas again by following the TheKitchn, a daily Web publication for home cooks, sharing recipes and tips.
Blogs: The best online escapes for some much-needed mom time.
- Looking to do some lifestyle lurking? Jordan Ferney over at Oh Happy Day is a mom of two with a gift for sharing DIY and party ideas.
- We know that even in summer, school is on the brain. The Daily Riff “sniffs and sifts” through edu-culture, curating news and opinion in quick, digest-sized takeaways. The Thinking Stick is great for this too.
- If you’re looking for home tours, book reviews, family-friendly travel, and discussions about modern parenting, then Gabrielle Blair at Design Mom is your woman.
What did we miss? Let us know!