Is your child entering high school? Check out this list for everything you and your teen need to know to maximize this first year in high school.
- Meet with your child’s middle school teachers
… and discuss the successes and pitfalls of the previous year.
- Peruse the freshman year curriculum
… and use the summer months to prepare your teen for next year’s classes.
- Get to know the high school guidance counselor
… to find out what you can expect from high school courses and the year ahead.
- Look into exam requirements
… and order test materials, and make sure you’re aware of PSAT/NMSQT registration dates.
- Select a service area to volunteer with
… because being active in the community makes teens well-rounded and looks great on college applications.
- Start building a portfolio
… and include extracurricular activities, service efforts, honors and accolades.
- Job shadow over the summer
… in potential fields of interest.
- Build relationships with high school teachers
… as they will be great resources for college recommendations.