Get your travel agent cap on and start planning what’s sure to be one of the best family vacations yet with our list of the 10 family-friendly vacations that fuel summer learning.
10. Chicago, Ill. —Are you raising some budding entrepreneurs?This industrial city is a great place to take your forward-thinking family. From its swanky restaurants to its unique history, Chicago can feed the whole family’s appetite.
9. Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Md.—Between the Science Center, the National Aquarium and the Reginald Lewis Museum, the beautiful Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore is sure to keep your kids’ minds working. Snatch up some fresh seafood in between locations to keep your stomachs satisfied.
8. Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax, Nova Scotia —Cruise on over to Nova Scotia and indulge in the quaint, nautical town of Halifax. We’ve all seen the movie “Titanic,” but here you can see the artifacts they recovered from the sinking ship, firsthand.
7. Fairmont Mayakoba, Mexico—Tired of cooking every meal, every night? After this Mayan family cooking class you can sit back and relax. Your kids will learn about safe food handling, ingredient mixing and plate garnishing. But it doesn’t end there — get some good, ol’-fashioned exercise as you walk along the 86-mile Riviera Maya, ogle the ancient ruins and journey through the lavish rain forests to learn about medicinal plants and modern-day culture.
6. Local Family Campsite—Not looking to travel too far? No problem. Keep it local this summer and teach your kids some basic survival skills on a fun summer camping trip.
5. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, Ohio —Music makes the world go round. Check out the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll and discover music’s power over world culture. From awesome multimedia gallery exhibits to concerts and panel discussions, this hip vacay is sure to keep everyone tapping their feet.
4.Disney World, Orlando,Fla. – Yes, of course, we had to include Disney World! It’s a classic vacation spot for families and is chock-full of learning opportunities —if you know where to go. Stamp your passport at the Epcot World Showcase, take a journey back in time during the Hall of Presidents presentation and embrace nature and conservation at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. If you’re traveling as a large group you can also sign up for one of the Disney Youth Education Series.
3. Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Va.—Trek alongside our founding fathers and enjoy watching costumed actors breathe life into some of the best-known figures of our colonial history: George Washington, John Smith, Pocahontas and more. Your kids are sure to ace their American history tests after this one!
2.Niagara Falls,Canada —You can’t go wrong with one of the top natural wonders of the world! From the lush landscape at the Botanical Gardens to the 170-foot waterfall, this jaw-dropping experience is sure to give your children a newfound appreciation for nature. Looking to stay within the U.S. border? You can journey to Buffalo, NY, for a prime view of the waterfalls.
… and the top pick for best family vacation is …
1. The National Children’s Museum, Washington, D.C. — This brand-new gallery will give your child a holistic learning experience. From the arts to civic engagement,from the environment to health and wellness, this hands-on interactive museum truly covers it all. While you’re in D.C., don’t forget to visit the National Mall and have your kids identify the most famous monuments and memorials.
Regardless of which vacation you choose, remember that you can infuse learning into any hot spot. Whether you give your kids a vacation allowance and have them manage their own budget or hand over a map and let them navigate your family through the crowd —there’s always an opportunity to make the most out of your summer vacation!